Mid-Level Insurance Litigation Associate
Do you want to be notified every time a job like this gets added? Click the CTA below!
Great news! We will let you know when a new job like this has been added!
You will be acting for policyholders in respect of disputed insurance claims, assisting them through all stages of the process up to resolution – both in Court or arbitral proceedings or consensually by mediation or negotiation.
As a lawyer at Clifford Chance your remit will be to apply your full knowledge of the law within your specialist area by identifying legal issues, drafting and advising clients
Who you will work with
Clifford Chance's global Litigation & Dispute Resolution practice has around 600 lawyers based in the UK, Continental Europe, the Middle East, Asia Pacific and the United States, who are experienced in the full spectrum of litigation, dispute resolution and regulatory issues that our clients face. Our highly qualified teams are focused on resolving high risk litigation, international arbitration and regulatory investigations.
Our global network provides an exceptional platform for handling major cross-border disputes and in recent years we have helped our clients to achieve success in some of the most complex international disputes and investigations.
The team has experience in virtually every sector of international business across multiple jurisdictions (both common and civil law systems).
Our London team group comprises 30 partners and around 100 associates.
You will also work with the following:
- Practice Assistants
- The Case Management team
- Business Professional Support services such as IT, mailroom and records
- The Best Delivery Team
- The Forensic Accounting Team
What you will be responsible for
- You will be representing insurance policyholders on insurance coverage disputes. Particular areas of focus include business interruption, construction, credit political risk and directors' and officers' insurance.
- You will also assist insureds with notifications to insurers, analysing coverage and presenting claims.
- You may also have the opportunity to become involved in representing major insurers and other clients in disputes and contentious regulatory matters
Transactional and Advisory Work
- You will regularly advise banks and corporates on the use of insurance (in particular credit insurance) in complex transactions.
- You will providine assistance where insurance issues arise in major transactions, for example advising on the existence of cover for risks identified in M&A transactions .
- You will conduct policy reviews to summarise and advise on the scope and adequacy of insurance and potential amendments
What you will do
- Drafting and reviewing legal documents to ensure clarity and consistency.
- Create solutions using your legal knowledge, applying effective research techniques.
- Challenge and test advice against legal compliance and risks.
- Be proactive in expanding legal knowledge to ensure technical expertise is up to date.
- Utilise client focus initiatives and monitor service levels of client needs.
- Engage with Knowledge resources effectively and collaborate in Knowledge initiatives for the Firm.
- Manage matters with a disciplined practice including timely timesheet submission and conflicts clearance processes.
- Adoption of Best Delivery tools: e.g. templates, Legal Support Centre, Resource Management, Legal Project Management;
Opportunities to be involved in pitching for new work and business development
Variety of matters: as described above we handle a wide variety of work.
High profile work: high value, international matters, with high stakes and complex issues, for and against household names.
Breadth of experience: our lawyers are encouraged to work on a wide range of cases, with a wide range of partners and other lawyers, exercising a wide range of skills.
Autonomy: from an early stage, our lawyers are encouraged (and expected) to take responsibility for their own work and make their own judgements, drawing on support where necessary.
Development: As well as recruiting the best people, we insist on the professional development of all our employees. Our lawyers work continuously to develop both legal and personal skills through the training programmes offered by the Clifford Chance Academy.
As a lawyer at Clifford Chance your remit will be to apply your full knowledge of the law within your specialist area by identifying legal issues, drafting and advising clients.
We are looking for an outstanding lawyer with strong working knowledge of insurance law and practice.
You will currently be practising at a top-rank practice. In all cases, candidates should be intellectually rigorous, have first-class legal ability and an outstanding academic track record.
We are looking for lawyers who have developed exceptional written and oral communication skills advising clients. The ideal candidate will have strong technical skills and be comfortable researching and applying complex areas of law.
We would also expect to see a mature approach to client business development with perhaps a handful of close client relationships with contacts at the same level of PQE as you. Fundamentally, we are looking for someone who is exceptionally driven, on a steep upward trajectory at their present firm and looking to move to an even more demanding and stimulating challenge.
- A mid-level lawyer who has outstanding experience of insurance matters.
- You will have extensive working knowledge of issues arising across all areas of coverage disputes.
- In all cases you will have first class demonstrable legal ability coupled with practical commercial awareness and extensive negotiations skills.
- Excellent drafting and communication skills (written and verbal).
- You will have an exceptional track record with a highly regarded profile.
To provide outstanding client service, we need to understand, anticipate and fulfil the unique needs and expectations of each client. We call this "Client Focus" and to help deliver this core part of our business strategy, we want to recruit lawyers who not only have the very highest level of technical skills but are also Client Focused.
We are looking for lawyers who:
- can demonstrate a keen interest and enthusiasm to learn about our clients' business;
- can work in teams, sharing knowledge and motivating and coaching their juniors and contributing to overall success;
- are empathetic, responsive and reliable;
- are commercial and innovative in the solutions they deliver to clients;
- are good at fostering relationships with clients
How we will support you
From your first day with us, you will have varied opportunities to grow and develop your skills and knowledge continuously. From formal training, informal coaching and mentoring through to skills-based and technical training and on the job learning.
Who we are
We are one of the largest international law firms in the world. With over 30 offices across the globe, we strive to exceed the expectations of our clients, providing them with the highest-quality advice and legal insight, which combines the firm’s global standards with in-depth local expertise.
Our firm, work and people span jurisdictions, cultures, and languages. We offer our clients a truly international perspective. We believe every career should be rewarding and stimulating - full of opportunities to learn, thrive, and grow. That’s why we’re so proud of our inclusive, friendly, and team-based approach to work.
You’ll find our clients in commercial and industrial sectors, the financial investor community, governments, regulators, trade bodies, and not-for-profit organisations. But no matter who they are or why they’ve reached out to us, we provide a world-class service every step of the way. And that’s possible thanks to the entrepreneurial spirit and conscientious approach to work that you’ll find across all of our teams.
Whichever area of the business you join, you’ll become an integral part an innovative, diverse and ambitious team of people. Clifford Chance is a place where the brightest minds and the best of colleagues meet.
This role follows our 'balanced' hybrid working approach and as long as business needs allow, you will be supported to work in a hybrid way with the expectation of working from the office for a minimum of 50% of your time.
Equal opportunities statement
At Clifford Chance, we understand that our true asset is our people. Inclusion is good for our team and their families, our firm and society.
We are committed to treating all employees and applicants fairly and equally regardless of their gender, gender identity and expression, marital or civil partnership status, race, colour, national or ethnic origin, social or economic background, disability, religious belief, sexual orientation, or age. This applies to recruitment and selection, terms and conditions of employment including pay, promotion, training, transfer and every other aspect of employment.
We have a variety of flourishing employee networks. These networks are a place for colleagues to share experiences and advocate for change wherever they see an opportunity for improvement.
Our goal is to deliver an equality of opportunity, an equality of aspiration and an equality of experience to everyone who works in our firm.
Find out more about our inclusive culture here.