Business Development Manager – Capital Markets
Do you want to be notified every time a job like this gets added? Click the CTA below!
Great news! We will let you know when a new job like this has been added!
Clifford Chance's Global Financial Markets (GFM) team has unrivalled scale and depth of legal resources across the key markets of the Americas, Asia Pacific and EMEA and is consistently rated as a Band 1 group by the leading legal directories. We are the only Firm to be ranked in Band 1 for Capital markets (Debt and Equity), Asset Finance, Banking and Finance, Projects and Energy, and Restructuring/Insolvency in the latest edition of Chambers Global.
Clifford Chance US LLP is seeking a full-time Business Development Manager to support and oversee client and market development for the Americas Capital Markets and Structured Finance team, working collaboratively with the other Americas BD Managers for GFM (who focus on Banking and finance and Projects), as well as other BD colleagues across practices and Clifford Chance offices. This role will support practice area specific and cross-practice business development initiatives both domestically and internationally, as well as initiatives identified by the regional Senior Business Development Manager and CMD Director.
- Understanding the practices – working closely with partners and associates to become very familiar with their offerings, clients, and markets in order to advise and execute on the most effective marketing approaches.
- Winning new business – leading on the preparation of capability statements and tailored client proposals; writing and/or maintaining business development materials such as practice group descriptions and lawyer biographies; proactively identifying business opportunities, cross-selling opportunities, new potential clients and areas of business; and conducting client, industry and competitor analysis.
- Partner integration – working with the Lateral Integration BD Manager to support new lateral partners and associates to ensure their successful integration into the practice and the Firm, working with laterals and newly promoted partners on the development of their individual business plans and execution of ongoing business development needs.
- Supporting strategic client relationships – supporting client partners in developing and implementing strategic client plans and managing client teams, conducting relationship and matter reviews, and arranging for value-added services, such as CLE seminars.
- Managing information – ensuring deal flow information is captured in transaction databases for league table submissions, directory listings, pitches, partner biographies, awards, and other external and internal communication activities; and managing relevant mailing lists within our CRM database.
- Supporting industry sector teams – Identifying and driving synergies between practice and industry sector teams, including providing hands-on support for regional sector focus groups, keeping abreast of market trends, completing client research, developing integrated marketing campaigns, focusing on sector-specific clients, and providing client management support.
- Positioning and profile raising – collaborating with our Communications & PR colleagues to identify opportunities to support individual lawyers and public matters that bolster the Capital Markets and Structure Finance practices' visibility and reputation via media relations, seminar sponsorship/participation, internal communications and website and intranet content.
- Developing business plans – supporting the practice area leader and group members in developing business plans with corresponding marketing and strategic plans; managing the execution of these plans.
- Research and market intelligence – overseeing the production of detailed client and industry research reports to support initiatives and client meetings; monitoring publications and other sources for potential opportunities and client development; and communicating research findings to partners and lawyers on a regular basis.
- Other – Supporting cross-practice business development initiatives as necessary; managing and contributing to wider BD projects, as required, including playing a key role in the development and roll-out of the Americas growth strategy.
- 4-5 years of business development/marketing experience in a law firm or professional services firm.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Marketing/Communications preferred; MBA is a plus.
- A global mindset and perspective.
- Excellent organizational and project management skills with particular attention to detail.
- Ability to develop advisory relationships with partners by demonstrating:
- Strong communication and analytical skills;
- proactive, can-do manner;
- ability to work on own initiative;
- a consultative, collaborative approach;
- ability to work under pressure and prioritize competing needs;
- an understanding of our clients' commercial objectives and marketplace;
- the ability to use basic technologies critical to the position;
- an affinity for continuous improvement with regards to systems and processes; and
- excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to contribute to the growth and development of our BD team by:
- collaborating with colleagues at all levels and across global offices;
- mentoring other team members;
- demonstrating teamwork;
- identifying opportunities to develop new processes/improve infrastructure; and
- promoting best practice within the BD team.
- Must possess strong technical proficiency in various software including Microsoft Office, InterAction, and ideally with Foundation.
- Must be independently legally authorized to work in the United States.
Clifford Chance US LLP offers a comprehensive benefits and compensation package. The salary range for this role is $150,000 - $170,000. Actual salary will be commensurate with the candidate's qualifications and relevant experience.
Who we are
We are one of the largest international law firms in the world. With over 30 offices across the globe, we strive to exceed the expectations of our clients, providing them with the highest-quality advice and legal insight, which combines the firm’s global standards with in-depth local expertise.
Our firm, work and people span jurisdictions, cultures, and languages. We offer our clients a truly international perspective. We believe every career should be rewarding and stimulating - full of opportunities to learn, thrive, and grow. That’s why we’re so proud of our inclusive, friendly, and team-based approach to work.
Our one firm global strategy is focused on targeted growth led by the needs of our core clients, those who we can best support with the breadth and depth of Clifford Chance expertise, across the sectors and geographies, which matter most to them.
You’ll find our clients in commercial and industrial sectors, the financial investor community, governments, regulators, trade bodies, and not-for-profit organisations. But no matter who they are or why they’ve reached out to us, we provide a world-class service every step of the way. And that’s possible thanks to the entrepreneurial spirit and conscientious approach to work that you’ll find across all of our teams.
Whichever area of the business you join, you’ll become an integral part an innovative, diverse and ambitious team of people. Clifford Chance is a place where the brightest minds and the best of colleagues meet.
Equal opportunities statement
At Clifford Chance, we understand that our true asset is our people. Inclusion is good for our team and their families, our firm and society.
We are committed to treating all employees and applicants fairly and equally regardless of their gender, gender identity and expression, marital or civil partnership status, race, colour, national or ethnic origin, social or economic background, disability, religious belief, sexual orientation, or age. This applies to recruitment and selection, terms and conditions of employment including pay, promotion, training, transfer and every other aspect of employment.
We have a variety of flourishing employee networks. These networks are a place for colleagues to share experiences and advocate for change wherever they see an opportunity for improvement.
Our goal is to deliver an equality of opportunity, an equality of aspiration and an equality of experience to everyone who works in our firm.
Find out more about our inclusive culture here.