Head of Client & Market Development – Amsterdam
Do you want to be notified every time a job like this gets added? Click the CTA below!
Great news! We will let you know when a new job like this has been added!
Clifford Chance has a global strategy which puts clients at the heart of everything the Firm does. We have a clear mandate around developing our existing strengths and relationships whilst increasing our share in new markets. Our Client & Market Development function ("C&MD") works strategically with our Global Business Units and local offices across all Regions – driven by our vision "to be the global law firm of choice for the world’s leading businesses of today and tomorrow".
The Head of Client & Market Development Amsterdam is responsible for working together with key stakeholders in Amsterdam and globally to develop and implement the firm's revenue generation and client development strategy for the Amsterdam practice; managing a team of business development professionals deployed across practices and client sectors; and supervising business development and marketing operations in Amsterdam.
Who you will work with
You will work with the Head of Client & Market Development for the Continental Europe (CE) region, your peers in team lead roles in other CE markets, the Amsterdam Office Managing Partner and local practice leaders, the Amsterdam General Manager, the partners, colleagues in the Brand, Communication & Marketing function locally and globally, and the wider Client & Market Development teams in and across all the firm's core practice areas, sectors and geographies.
What you will be responsible for
- To articulate and achieve revenue and client development ambitions for the practice in Amsterdam in alignment with the firm's Growth Strategy.
- To manage work allocation, performance and skills development across a team of Amsterdam-based BD professionals to achieve excellent BD support for the practice in Amsterdam.
- To lead on and oversee the delivery of Amsterdam-led pursuits and RFPs across multiple practice areas, sectors, and geographies.
- To provide oversight, accountability and reporting on the activities of the CMD team in Amsterdam to regional CMD function management and the partnership in Amsterdam.
- To collaborate closely with the Brand, Communication and Marketing (BCM) globally to design and deliver profiling activities that enhance the brand of the practice in target markets.
- To ensure the firm's brand is promoted in the Amsterdam market through leveraging the firm's involvement in strategic industry bodies, sponsorships and events.
- To collaborate closely with counterparts across the other offices regionally and globally to develop and implement best practices, continuously improve processes and technology and share resources and capabilities effectively across borders.
What you will do
Core activities include:
- Developing, implementing and reporting on a strategic client development action plan for the practice in Amsterdam, aimed at achieving the firm's global strategic objectives within the Amsterdam market and deploying the capabilities of the Amsterdam practice across global client relationships.
- Liaising closely with practice and market specialists to identify opportunities for the practice in Amsterdam and to feed in relevant expertise and materials from across the firm to leverage those opportunities.
- Coaching, overseeing and supporting a team of Amsterdam-based business development professionals at varying seniority levels deployed across key practice areas and clients/sectors; coordinating the day-to-day activities of the CMD team and of their performance review and career progression.
- Drafting, reviewing, and editing pitch documents to shape and produce compelling, client centric propositions for clients.
- Advising the partners in Amsterdam on selection and qualification of opportunities in collaboration with the global Pricing function.
- Working together with colleagues in the global BCM function to plan and deliver compelling branding and profiling activities that enhance the firm's position with target clients in the Amsterdam market.
- Ensure proper coordination of the processes required in relation to legal directories and awards, ensuring practices develop compelling and substantiated narratives, with a focus on efficiency and quality in leveraging resources of the central directories team and the Foundation platform.
- Key Account Management responsibility (direct or indirect via oversight of key account managers) for selected strategic clients.
- Support with the onboarding of lateral partners in terms of business development and client relationship aspects.
- Support training initiatives for associates and partners on business development skills.
- Create a supportive environment for professional development for team members and ensure they have sufficient training and on-the-job support.
- You will be a member of the Amsterdam Office Management Team.
You will have:
- Experience in a similar position in a professional or financial services firm, preferably with an international/matrix organisation with management exposure.
- Experience of leading on business and client development and key account management.
- Extensive experience leading on competitive proposals/pitches and opportunity pursuits, ideally within the professional services market.
- Extensive experience working across functions in an international, regional, and local context.
- Experience working at a senior level in a partnership.
- Proven ability to build strong working relationships with senior management.
- Proven ability to lead staff at all levels and delegate effectively.
In addition, you will possess:
- Excellent listening, oral, and written communication skills.
- A high-level of self-awareness and the ability to flex working style to different situations.
- Strong project management skills and the ability to manage multiple projects concurrently.
- Highly developed analytical skills and a passion for problem solving.
- Experience in budget management and supplier management.
- A collaborative and team-oriented work ethos.
- Strong IT literacy: proficiency with Microsoft Office and exposure to Web Portals used for managing RFP processes.
You must have a degree qualified individual, ideally with post-graduate qualifications in marketing or business.
How we will support you
From your first day with us, you will have varied opportunities to continuously grow and develop your skills and knowledge. From formal training, informal coaching and mentoring through to skills-based and technical training and on the job learning.
Who we are
We are one of the largest international law firms in the world. With over 30 offices across the globe, we strive to exceed the expectations of our clients, providing them with the highest-quality advice and legal insight, which combines the firm’s global standards with in-depth local expertise.
Our firm, work and people span jurisdictions, cultures, and languages. We offer our clients a truly international perspective. We believe every career should be rewarding and stimulating - full of opportunities to learn, thrive, and grow. That’s why we’re so proud of our inclusive, friendly, and team-based approach to work.
You’ll find our clients in commercial and industrial sectors, the financial investor community, governments, regulators, trade bodies, and not-for-profit organisations. But no matter who they are or why they’ve reached out to us, we provide a world-class service every step of the way. And that’s possible thanks to the entrepreneurial spirit and conscientious approach to work that you’ll find across all of our teams.
Whichever area of the business you join, you’ll become an integral part an innovative, diverse and ambitious team of people. Clifford Chance is a place where the brightest minds and the best of colleagues meet.
The Equal opportunities statement
At Clifford Chance, we understand that our true asset is our people. Inclusion is good for our team and their families, our firm and society.
We are committed to treating all employees and applicants fairly and equally regardless of their gender, gender identity and expression, marital or civil partnership status, race, colour, national or ethnic origin, social or economic background, disability, religious belief, sexual orientation, or age. This applies to recruitment and selection, terms and conditions of employment including pay, promotion, training, transfer and every other aspect of employment.
We have a variety of flourishing employee networks. These networks are a place for colleagues to share experiences and advocate for change wherever they see an opportunity for improvement.
Our goal is to deliver an equality of opportunity, an equality of aspiration and an equality of experience to everyone who works in our firm.
Find out more about our inclusive culture here.