Financial Accountant - 12 Month Fixed Term Contract
Do you want to be notified every time a job like this gets added? Click the CTA below!
Great news! We will let you know when a new job like this has been added!
This vacancy has now expired. Please see similar roles below...
Clifford Chance's Finance team is at the heart of its strategy. The department is involved in managing accounts, budgets and forecasts, providing trend and competitor analysis and other statistical support for partner presentations, as well as cash management, remuneration and internal audit, ultimately ensuring that the Firm is compliant, efficient and profitable.
The role is part of the Partnership Finance Accounting team for the London office.
Who you will work with
You will work with UK Budget holders, Tax Team, Central Team, Billing, Credit Control and Cashiers.
What you will be responsible for
You will be responsible for completing regular tasks accurately and timely and providing analysis and support to the Head of Finance UK (Accounting).
The role will also involve ad hoc tasks, in relation to budgeting, management accounting, statutory reporting, internal/external audits and internal/external client requirements.
What you will do
- Preparation of the quarterly VAT return, review of underlying transactions and processes throughout finance to ensure compliance with legislation. Submissions/payments to HMRC for VAT via MTD. Balance sheet reconciliation for all VAT balances. Reclaiming overseas VAT (Spanish and Danish VAT)
- Preparing balance sheet packs for all London entities, which involves preparing specific recs, checking recs prepared by the Team and other departments. Highlighting and following up on issues/outstanding balances and investigating queries.
- Reviewing and reconciliation of withholding tax transactions from debtor receipts.
- PAYE Settlement Agreement: monthly analysis and queries. Feeding into final HMRC submission and payment arranged by Tax team.
- Reviewing payroll journal postings and reconciling related accounts.
- Pulling together an annual Insurance renewal questionnaire for Head of Risk and Clearance.
- Cash flow preparation: liaising with Head of Billing and Credit Control to produce accurate estimates of future cash position. Also detailed analysis of actual against forecast position.
- Non-legal billing, chasing payments and reconciliations.
- Reviewing interoffice reconciliations, responding to queries, approve payment schedules, follow up reconciling items. Transfer of income and costs between offices for special arrangements in accordance with Firm and tax requirements.
- Reviewing general ledger account analysis /reconciliations /Cost Centre reporting, journal reviews and ad hoc analysis/ corrections.
- Month end close to deadline, including preparation of schedules for internal reporting.
- Assisting in the preparation of the budget and forecasts.
- Supporting and having contact with budget holders to explain reports, provide analysis and insight.
- Dealing with internal and external auditors.
- Preparing Tipsheets targeted to your various clients will be required.
- You will ideally have experience from a legal or professional services firm or from a similarly large organization.
- You will be able to demonstrate experience of working within a Finance team, specifically completing VAT returns and dealing with audits.
- You will have experience and knowledge of the latest VAT regulations and IFRS requirements.
- You will be able to sift through a vast quantity of data and information to produce presentations and commentary identifying salient features.
- You will have a strong aptitude to understand new concepts, processes and controls.
- The ability to appropriately influence others if / when required and when change is necessary.
- You will be able to demonstrate excellent organisational and interpersonal skills (including for delivering training).
- You will have a very high level of attention to detail and the ability to prioritise tasks.
- The ability to build strong relationships as you will be required to work across the Finance Team and with UK Budget Holders.
- You will be able to demonstrate a flexible working approach with the confidence to communicate, both written and verbally, at all levels.
- Intermediate/Advanced Excel skills essential.
- PowerPoint skills preferred.
- Keystone, Elite, CMS or SAP and general ledger (Oracle Financials).
- Oracle Hyperion Financial Management (HFM) and Hyperion Planning skills preferred.
You will be newly qualified in either ACA / ACCA / CIMA or equivalent or recently qualified with some relevant experience.
How we will support you
From your first day with us, you will have varied opportunities to continuously grow and development your skills and knowledge. From formal training, informal coaching and mentoring through to skills-based and technical training and on the job learning
Who we are
We are one of the largest international law firms in the world. With over 30 offices across the globe, we strive to exceed the expectations of our clients, providing them with the highest-quality advice and legal insight, which combines the firm’s global standards with in-depth local expertise.
Our firm, work and people span jurisdictions, cultures, and languages. We offer our clients a truly international perspective. We believe every career should be rewarding and stimulating - full of opportunities to learn, thrive, and grow. That’s why we’re so proud of our inclusive, friendly, and team-based approach to work.
You’ll find our clients in commercial and industrial sectors, the financial investor community, governments, regulators, trade bodies, and not-for-profit organisations. But no matter who they are or why they’ve reached out to us, we provide a world-class service every step of the way. And that’s possible thanks to the entrepreneurial spirit and conscientious approach to work that you’ll find across all of our teams.
Whichever area of the business you join, you’ll become an integral part an innovative, diverse and ambitious team of people. Clifford Chance is a place where the brightest minds and the best of colleagues meet.
This role follows our 'balanced' hybrid working approach and as long as business needs allow, you will be supported to work in a hybrid way with the expectation of working from the office for a minimum of 50% of your time.
Equal opportunities statement
At Clifford Chance, we understand that our true asset is our people. Inclusion is good for our team and their families, our firm and society.
We are committed to treating all employees and applicants fairly and equally regardless of their gender, gender identity and expression, marital or civil partnership status, race, colour, national or ethnic origin, social or economic background, disability, religious belief, sexual orientation, or age. This applies to recruitment and selection, terms and conditions of employment including pay, promotion, training, transfer and every other aspect of employment.
We have a variety of flourishing employee networks. These networks are a place for colleagues to share experiences and advocate for change wherever they see an opportunity for improvement.
Our goal is to deliver an equality of opportunity, an equality of aspiration and an equality of experience to everyone who works in our firm.
Find out more about our inclusive culture here.